From individual to population Challenges in Medical Visualization
- Download the PDF fulltext here.
- Originally published on arXiv as arXiv:1206.1148.
- Covered by MIT Technology Review, Gizmodo and others.
- Finally published as a chapter in the 2014 Springer book titled Scientific Visualization.
- Aspects of this work were also integrated into chapter 22 of the 2013 book Visual Computing for Medicine.
In this paper, we first give a high-level overview of medical visualization development over the past 30 years, focusing on key developments and the trends that they represent. During this discussion, we will refer to a number of key papers that we have also arranged on the medical visualization research timeline. Based on the overview and our observations of the field, we then identify and discuss the medical visualization research challenges that we foresee for the coming decade.